Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Interdependency Controls Fate


Interdependency Controls Fate
Yesterday I got a paper cut. It stung, it burned but worst of all it bled. I’m not really afraid of blood, but as the blood seeped out of my flesh colored pinky, I began to think. Right now, I’m healing myself. I have the power to heal myself, my blood, has its own powers. I’m part superhero! But never mind that. I thought about my blood, and all of the things it consisted of. I’m no scientist, but I know the basics. With my tens of thousands different red blood cells, with my tens of thousands platelets and best of all my tens of thousands white blood cells, I was able to heal myself. To a normal person it was all considered blood. No one ever takes into consideration how special one single cell is, people rather think of “blood” as the liquid that you can donate. No one finds the eminence ability of a single blood cell. 
Each cell like an individual are interdependent, creating a society that evolves together, and changes based on its surroundings. We are all parts of a society no matter how we want to think of it.
Society as a whole works together to fit the status quo. If society isn’t fulfilling its destiny  the society dies off and a new one is created. This has happened repeatedly in the Chinese Dynasties.  They followed each other. Evolving, changing into a better version of its past self.        
            Every society depends on its environment, a society’s environment controls what each society needs, therefore controlling what each individual does. Think about it like this; one society is a liver cell, another strong muscle cell. The muscle cell obviously needs more energy therefore it would need a bigger powerhouse or a bigger mitochondria. In this way, society controls the individual. 
An individual’s needs are not important, what is truly important is what the society asks of the individual. Every individual is subconsciously controlled by society. Saleem, being controlled by the need to fit into Evie Burns club, forced himself to learn how to ride a bike. We as individuals are all learning how to ride bikes and forcing ourselves to feed into the needs of society.
Feeding into the needs of society can either make or break you. For some individuals fitting in seems natural. While for individuals such as the narrator of The Reluctant Fundamentalist never fit in no matter the setting. 
Becoming a part of a whole isn’t as good as it seems. Being controlled by society does not help the individual. Being a part of a society, forces the individual to lose their identity. Societies need for interdependence has forced us to forget the importance of individuality.  One day we will be known for the era of technology, and the society that lost its way. Similar to ones battle with sickle cell disease, our society will be known as the generation who lost to a presence of defect. Like the defect of the red blood cell, our societies defect will be the lack of individuality, and the presence interdependency. Our tombstone will be marked with the cause of death: interdependency. 

Works Cited:
Rushdie, Salman. Midnight's Children:. New York: Knopf, 1981. Print.
Hamid, Mohsin. The Reluctant Fundamentalist. Orlando: Harcourt, 2007. Print.
"Human Anatomy: Blood - Cells, Plasma, Circulation, and More." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015. <http://www.webmd.com/heart/anatomy-picture-of-blood>.

"Parts of the Cell." Parts of the Cell. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015. <http://askabiologist.asu.edu/content/cell-parts>



No comments:

Post a Comment