But I did none of these things. Instead, I blushed and said, "Hello." She smiled ---- with uncharacteristic shyness, it seemed to me ---and replied, "Hi." I nodded, tried to think of something else to say, failed, and said, "Hello," again. As soon as i had done this, I wanted to disappear; I knew I sounded unbelievably foolish. She started to laugh, her small breasts bouncing, and said, "I'm going for a swim." But then, as she walked away, she half-turned and added, "You want to come?" (Pg 24)
My mother always cooks dinner. Never, ever anyone but her, "Delicious." It is --- with different flavors, it always seems good--- and yummy, "Tempting." Always tempting, sugary goodness making your mouth water with saliva, delicious, and lovely. "Quenching" always. As soon as it hits my tongue, the thirst goes away; I know it sounds dramatic. Turkey isn't my favorite, none the less, "Eat it it is good" Mom says, but I never do, macaroni and cheese is my style, "But put that down."
Imane, I love your vivid descriptions of your reactions to the food! A memorable and playful approach. I love that you have really changed the grammar to keep your own voice; it doesn't work perfectly, but it's a bold appropriation.
ReplyDelete