Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Where I'm From

Where I'm from the streets aren't paved with gold
There isn't silver lying on the streets
But there are thousands of people
And a city that never sleeps
The lights are bright, sometimes even blinding
But the view is amazing, to some it could be frightening.
Where I'm from you'll be lucky to see a star
Making a wish could never be so hard
When all you see at night are cars.
The people are loud and obnoxious
But what else could you expect
From the city that never sleeps
A smile too wide is thought to be a threat


Any corner you turn you'll find a new story
A new life
A new story waiting to be told
Its the concrete jungle
Or so I've heard
But in reality it's the only place I like to call home

Where I'm from the friendly people are the ones to watch out for
Because trust must be gained not given

Where I'm from food from all over the world
Can end up on the same block

Where I'm from a white picket fence is hard to be found
But a hopscotch drawing of chalk can be easily found on the ground.


Packing up and leaving everything behind was the hardest to do
Espicially when it seems like the worst thing i left was you

It was hard to leave
Because it felt like i was leaving apart of me

Leaving where I'm from changed me so much
It felt like me and the world were coming out of touch

I miss where I'm from because it was a place I could call home
Now where I am to talk to my family I have to pick up a phone.





1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty impressed by the similes and metaphors you used throughout the poem such as "concrete jungle." The fluidity of the poem does show you and your voice that's you're the speaker. The beginning was the only thing I think could have some different entrance that is more attention grabbing

    ReplyDelete