Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sleep as an Answer?


I remember like it was yesterday, the first nap I ever took. Well actually I don't. I just thought it would seem more interesting if could remember my first nap. To be honest I don't remember most of the naps I took as a child. I'm pretty sure no one remembers them. 

It’s not like they were the most memorable moments of our childhoods. My happy childhood memories range from my first trip to Chucky Cheese, or the moment I learned how to ride a bike and felt my first sense of independence.( Although I couldn’t leave my street or ride without a parent watching) It all felt the same. Happiness, excitement are all synonyms for my childhood, or at least majority of it.

But the moment my mom told me it was nap time… all hell would break loose…
Sleep isn’t what a 3 year old wants to hear after they’ve watched 3 hours of Telle-Tubies and Barney
Sleep isn’t what a five year old (with adrenaline running through their veins) wants to hear after they’ve had sugar filled delicacies.
Sleep isn’t what a 7 year old wants to hear after they’ve just came back from their best friend’s house, jumping on trampolines and high off of life.
Sleep just never seemed to be the answer I wanted to hear as a child ; but it always seemed to be the answer my mother wanted to give me.

I would like to believe that I was a decent child, one that never yelled or complained when it was nap time; As for my siblings... I can’t say the same.
My baby sister has taken on an animalistic personality when my mom says the words “Nap Time”.
I’ve never believed in Jekyll and Hyde until I experienced my sister at nap time.
The bite marks on the sides of the crib scream “I’m in prison”
While the smile on her face yells “I love my life”

As I’ve grown older I’ve began to love my mom and all of those that forced me to take a nap as a child.
Naps are the only thing I survive on now. Naps are the only thing that gets me through the day, considering the longest period of time of day I probably sleep is during my Civics class, I appreciate naps so much more.

Imagine in highschool that we were allowed to sleep in class. A nap during the day can reengerize any student, allowing them to fully participate in class and fully understand the material being taught.



No comments:

Post a Comment