Language is identity
It controls the way we seen
Where you from controls how people see you
How you speak tell people who you are
Language is the way of speaking and interacting
No language means unsuccessfulness
Language is the main means for communication
And for successfulness.
Our fate is made by how well we can interpret and understand
each other.
THz I really don’t know why language is so important but it
is.
Ur language and context depends on who ur talking to
People claim that only Standard English
Can be taken seriously
It all depends on the context
Context controls seriousness
If I speak to my niggah
I wont speak serious
But I will be taken seriously
But peep if I talk to my teacher
I talk smart
And I will be taken seriously
Choosing when to switch codes
Is the hardest
Bc if you don’t switch @ the right time
You can be mistaken
And misunderstood
And judged
And hurt for the rest of ur life
There is always going to be a Social Conflict
Even within language.
There is always going to be a language that is suppressed.
Just like race.
Or religion.
The suppression identifies an individual.
The language you speak the most
Or the language u grew up with
Inevitably creates who
u are
Identity has a direct relationship
With language
The language u speak
And understand
Portrays u to the world.
THz language is too complicated
It may be hard to read my poem, but the reality is that it is
very easy to understand. In the 21st century teens and even some
adults are becoming accustomed to using slang terms in our daily vocabulary.
Whether these words are correct or not, we all understand them. These slang words
and acronyms can sometimes be found easier to understand and to use than words
that were created in early dictionaries.
Reading around auto- correct means that we completely understand
Standard English, but choose to take the easy way out. This means that the
majority of people assume Standard English
complicated, and could be “dummed” down at the risk of the readers
understanding. Reading around auto- correct is not neglecting the proper way to
pronounce or spell a word, it is rather substituting it for another statement.
Perhaps an easier one to understand or even identify. This simple substitution
creates another world that allows the reader to interpet and understand a
passage or statement easier.
The lack of Standard English and the presence of slang terms does
not portray an illiterate person but rather someone who understands their
audience and knows the value of interpretation. Standard English may at times
be tedious and repetitive but it has a value to it. At times slang terms, may
not be understood, leaving the reader in the clouds about how to interpret and
how to communicate correctly. This at times shows the importance of Standard
English, while at other times. Standard English may create the complication
within the interpretation of the reader.
Therefore Standard English is not necessarily needed for a
reader to interpret and to understand a message.
I like your poem and the message you are conveying. People shouldn't be judged on how they speak. Code switching plays part in this and the ability to do so is an important skill to have and use. I lile how you added the part about people also judging on the way you talk just as they judge others on race. Overall, I think that you did a good job on this.
ReplyDelete